Rosemary Papp

With over 36 Years Local Experience to Serve You

778-834-8021

 
Back to Blog

From, Bjorn Rygg, Pillar to Post

The Fireplace

  • Never burn gift wrappings, boxes, cartons, or other types of packing. They burn far too rapidly.
  • Always use a screen in front of the fireplace to protect against flying sparks.
  • Never use gasoline or any other flammable liquids to start a fire.
  • Use only seasoned and dried wood.
  • Never leave the fire unattended or smouldering.
  • Clean the ashes regularly. Place the ashes in a metal container and store outside.

Electrical Outlets

  • There is often a tendency to overload outlets during the holiday season. This is unsafe.
  • Inspect all cords before using. Look for loose connections or frayed or exposed wire.
  • Insert plugs fully into outlets. Poor contact may cause overheating or shock.
  • To avoid possible overheating, do not coil or bunch an extension cord or run it under carpets or rugs.

The Kitchen
Grease and fat fires are a leading cause of home fires, so be extra careful when doing this kind of cooking. Here’s what to do if grease in a pot or pan catches fire:

  • Smother the flames by covering with a lid.
  • Turn off the heat immediately.
  • Use baking soda (flour can be explosive) on shallow grease fires.
  • Never turn on the overhead fan, as this could spread the fire.
  • Never throw water on a grease fire.

Last but not least …
make sure your smoke detectors work!

Comments

No comments

Post Your Comment:

*indicates required fields.
Your Name:*
Please note, your email will not be shown publicly
Your Email (will not be published):*
Comment:*
Please type the text as it appears above:

Subscribe to The Rosemary Report

* indicates required
Direct: 778-834-8021
Toll Free: 1-888-707-3577
Rosemary's Email: rosemary@homesinlangley.ca
RE/MAX Treeland Realty
#101 - 6337 198 Street
Langley BC V2Y 2E3
www.HomesinLangley.ca